Are my plants injured from flying weedeater debris?

HomeForumsAsk an Expert GardenerAre my plants injured from flying weedeater debris?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bluefringes
    Participant

I bought and sprouted some good cold weather tomato seeds of different varieties. I have some seedlings that are about 3 inches tall and some older seedlings that are about 6 inches tall, all in 4 inch pots. I left a flat of 3 inch tall plants on a brick wall this morning that lines my driveway. On the other side of the wall is a lawn that is level with the top of the wall. When I got home tonight my dad had taken a weedeater to some weeds near my plants and it sent weed pieces into my plants. My plants were all previously growing straight up, but now some of the plants have very crooked stems that remind me of the shape of a question mark. I also had a flat of 7 inch plants placed a few feet away and a couple of them are shaped the same. Is this an indication of a problem?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

I doubt that the weeds caused your problem. As your seedlings grow you should step them up to larger pots. This will keep them from being leggy and allow them to develop a strong root system. Get a slightly larger pot, one that will allow you to bury the stems of the plants right up to the top few leaves. Use sterile potting mix and add fertilizer in a trench around the perimeter of the pot. Be sure to bury the fertilizer. I would then give the transplants a shot of 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer or fish emulsion. the stronger the root system is before they go in the ground, the better your plants will be.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.