Blossom END ROT????

HomeForumsAsk an Expert GardenerBlossom END ROT????

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jammastermay 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

drearydreamer
    Participant

After posting my last question, I have been browsing the site for information and I think that I may have blossom end rot. As it is late in the growing season, It is not feasible to work in lime or any other amendment. What can I do so that I can have at least a small harvest? This seems to be taking over ALL tomatoes. It starts with one and then they all have it and there is nothing that I do that will contain it. I pick affected fruit and dispose of it away from my garden. What else can I do to make this at least a little less as I would like to at least have ONE tomato from my own garden this year!
    The symptoms are black spots on the bottom that tunnel into the fruit. Healthy plants with no other symptoms of disease. Occaisionally, a fruit will not show black rot, but will instead just turn mushy and rot with no color change.

Brian
    Participant

Put plenty of line or dolomite with the plants.  This provides the calcium needed.  I had it last year with Big Beef.  This year I have none.  Also keep the water up but by soaking not spraying.    It’s not really a disease but a condition, and won’t spread to healthy plants.  Hope this helps

Brian
    Participant

Brian meant lime not line.

jammastermay
    Participant

You can also use gypsum, especially if you don’t want to raise pH.  It is pH neutral vs. lime which raises pH.

jammastermay
    Participant

Also…you can dissolve gypsum into a watering can and get the calcium to the plant much more quickly that way.  Probably can do same with lime…but keep in mind that solution will be basic…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.