Brown tips on my tomato seedlings.

HomeForumsWhat the #$*! Disease is This?Brown tips on my tomato seedlings.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Theresa Theresa 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

I planted tomatoes from seed and have transplanted them into larger pots from their original seed trays. Our weather has been unseasonably cold (30’s and 40’s)so I bring them in on the cold nights. Some of the leaves have very brown tips and edges. Is this from the cold, from moving them around so much or is it some disease?

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry about this. It is most likely the cold weather. If the leaves get really brown or wilt, then you probably have a fungus or a bacteria. Either of these can be big trouble. Tomatoes really like temperatures above 60, will do OK in the 50’s but below that they are unhappy and show their unhappiness with browning tips of leaves.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

Excellent question, greenqueen. I’ve had this problem myself, but live in Florida. We had a couple of really weird nights where the temperature dropped down into the mid-40’s but I didn’t realize that it was going to happen.

I was thinking that perhaps it was a combination of the cold night and then the relatively warm (75-ish degree) day that followed. So far, the plants seem to be thriving except for the brown tips, so I guess we’ll see what happens. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.