Favorite Hybrid Tomato

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsFavorite Hybrid Tomato

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by healthnut healthnut 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

I love my heirlooms and they’re all that I grow right now, but i was wondering if, as I learn, I’ll be interested in creating hybrids, and I think that I will be. I’m a bit of a mad scientist at heart and love to experiment. I have some beautiful roses because of this curiosity but don’t know enough about tomatoes yet to start.

So my question is, for all of you pros, what’s your favorite hybrid, and what are your favorite methods? Pictures would be great if you have any!

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

I have not tried making hybrid tomatoes however I did buy a plant this year which is one of the new grafted tomatoes. Rose growers have used grafted root stock forever to grow stronger better plants, so why not do it with tomatoes. The plant I choose is a Cherokee purple. I bought it when it was about the same size as a Cherokee Purple that I grew from seed. My own little experiment will be to see if the grafted performs that much better ($13 worth of better).

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Here are some photos of my grafted tomato.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    healthnut
    healthnut
    Participant

I’m no pro by any means, but I have a tremendous interest in hybrids, too. I love the supersteak; it has a great texture and one slice covers your entire sandwich!
    That being said, I like the sweetness of a yellow tomato, so maybe I’ll experiment a bit with a beefsteak/yellow combination. I wonder how well that works?

I know what I like in red but now I need to find a good yellow. Does anybody have any suggestions? I like them sweet, firm and juicy. Size would be good, too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.