Giant Tomatoes

HomeForumsAsk an Expert GardenerGiant Tomatoes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    healthnut
    healthnut
    Participant

My best friend has kicked my butt at the local fair for the last several years with her tomatoes. Mine are nothing to scoff at (I grow stripey heirlooms) but hers are like freakishly huge and delicious. I mean, one slice is good for an entire sandwich with tomato hanging off every side, and the taste and texture is awesome, too.
    Obviously, since she beats me, she won’t share her secret but I swear it’s got to be in her mulch or her fertilizer. I use Miracle-Gro tomato as it’s the best i’ve found but she says hers is an “organic mix”. Any hints? Not only do I want my tomatoes to look good beside hers, I want them to taste that good, too!

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

I learned for am man who grew the most delicious tomatoes ever from seed  into his 90’s. Dig a hole 2 feet wide and at least a foot deep (more if your plants are big.). Put a folded sheet of newspaper in the hole. Add 2 quarts of cow manure, ad 1 to 1 1/2 (if organic) fertilizer. Don’t mix it up! add a little layer of soil. Plant the tomato, stripping off all but the top leaves, burying the stem. Pile in the soil mounding it up around the stem, Water it in. Mulch with ta thick layer. He always used oak leaves.That is your fertilizer for the season. You have nice fluffy soil, fertilizer and you plants look pretty in the little mounds. Yum! I use Espoma’s Tomato Tone Fertilizer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.