Growing heirloom tomatoes

HomeForumsAsk an Expert GardenerGrowing heirloom tomatoes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Are heirloom tomatoes harder to grow than regular tomatoes? I love the taste of the ones I bought last year but people say they are really susceptible to disease.

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

Heirloom tomatoes are delicious however they are not for you if you like the uniformly round red tomatoes you find in the grocery store. Heirlooms can be purple, yellow, pinkish and many other colors. You can find may seed companies online that sell heirloom seeds. Try to find one especially for your area. Use good cultural practices; grow in raised beds or large pots, provide plenty of spacing between plants, bury the stems of your seedlings for maximum root structure, water from the ground and don’t over water, and mulch to prevent soil born disease from splashing onto the plants. Generally do everything you would do with a hybrid tomato to produce a great harvest!

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Some of my favorite heirloom varieties are Cherokee Purple (fabulous flavor, rosy purple with brick red interior. Meaty and delicious.) and Brandwine (an Amish heirloom since 1885 with rich succulent flavor and large pinkish red fruit.) My favorite recipe for fresh ripe tomatoes. sliced, with fresh mozzarella  basil and a drizzle of olive oil. Sometimes a splash of balsamic vinegar. YUM!
    Pictures are heirlooms that I grew last year.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.