Heirlooms vs Hybrids

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsHeirlooms vs Hybrids

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  saucelover 4 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

OK so I’m an heirloom type of girl but can occasionally be swayed into growing some hybrids. My question for you all is this: do you REALLY notice that big of a difference between the two as far as consistency goes?

The reason that I ask is because my friend grafted this absolutely delicious hybrid and I want to add it to my garden permanently. She swears that the quality is just as consistent as my heirlooms but I’ve always heard just the opposite.

Have any of you ever run across a consistently good hybrid? I’ve grown hybrids for one season but never one of the same variety enough to be able to really notice. Thanks for the advice. :)

saucelover
    Participant

I’m actually extremely attached to the same tomato that we’ve grown in our garden since I was a little girl. It’s a tradition every year that my mom and I get together and plant our seeds so I guess that my vote is solidly in the heirloom court.
    That being said, however, my neighbor has a couple of hybrids that she grows every year that are delicious. We trade produce back and forth so that all have a wide variety of interesting things to eat. She has a beautiful yellow slicing tomato called Lemon Boys. They’re very sweet and the meat has a great texture. She grows them every year and they seem to be consistently good.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.