Looking for a split-resistant tomato

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsLooking for a split-resistant tomato

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Theresa Theresa 4 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

I have friends that live in an area in the west where the temperatures and rainfall vary dramatically. It may go for 3 weeks with no rain, then dump 2 inches on them in a few hours and they have problems losing fruit because of splitting.

They have a fairly large garden so they’re losing quite a bit when this happens. Does anybody have any suggestions for slicing tomatoes or canning tomatoes that may be less prone to splitting than others?

If not, do you all have any suggestions that could help them to avoid the splitting? That would be the ideal for them. Thanks!

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

I don’t know of a way to stop splitting tomatoes. We have the same problem in Florida. My early spring tomatoes were fabulous but we have had buckets of rain for the last month and now splitting is common. I just cut around the splits and use them anyway. Of course they are not as tasty as the early tomatoes because they have a much higher water content.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

Yeah, they have a much grainier texture. I’m actually considering planting some of my sandwich tomatoes in a manner that allows me to move them inside when we get those tremendous rainfalls. Like you said, I don’t mind cutting around the splits if I’m cooking with them or canning, but it would be nice to have a few that weren’t quite so water-logged for slicing and eating.

Maybe I’ll do buckets or something.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.