Mulch for tomatoes

HomeForumsGardening ProductsMulch for tomatoes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

I know that mulch plays a big part in keeping insects and disease from tomato plants. Years ago an expert tomato grower in his 80’s told me to always mulch heavily with oak leaves and after harvest, turn the oak leaves into the soil to provide organic matter. Who has other good ideas for mulching tomatoes.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Happy chicken is only oen of a flock of 5. I use hay in their chicken tractor for bedding. When I clean it out, I put the soiled hay in a large planting tub. (Must have holes!) When it is full I dump it in a special place in t he garden and let it sit for a month or so. Then I much my vegetables with it. I  have heard not to do this because hay has lots of weed seed but I have not found this to be the case. Maybe I am getting good hay! The idea is mulch and a little plant food a t the same time.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Pine needles! I have pine trees and have mulched with the needles for years. It is very easy to move the mulch to tend the plants and the pine needles make for a very attractive garden.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.