Rotting on Vine

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by healthnut healthnut 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    healthnut
    healthnut
    Participant

My neighbor always grows the most beautiful tomatoes but last year, nearly all of them grew perfectly then rotted on the vine before they ripened. She was pretty careful about cleaning them up and didn’t use them in her mulch mix but now she’s worried that maybe her soil is infected with something.
    I’m an amateur and just grow my own for the sake of having fresh veggies so I’m not much help, but am hoping that somebody here can help her. I don’t have much info other than that they started to rot right when they should have ripened, and they were a hybrid.

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Blossom End Rot is the  most common reason tomatoes rot on the vine.  Generally this is caused by a calcium deficiency and made worse by irregular watering (by you or because of weather conditions). Too much nitrogen fertilizer can also cause this problem as can too much salt in the soil. You can’t save the rotting fruits. Just take precautions next year. Get soil tested and make sure it is about 6.5.  See the article on this website for more information.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

I plant eggshells from my happy chickens along with my tomatoes and have never had blossom end rot. Of course you could use supermarket eggshells but then you would miss the joy of happy chickens. They provide delicious eggs and endless hours of entertainment. Just dig up a nasty root eating grub, one chicken grabs the grub and the rest chase in hot pursuit. They also like tomato horn worms and all sorts of destructive insects but they don’t like our friends, the earthworms. Now if we could just train them to like grass hoppers! Go figure.

healthnut
    healthnut
    Participant

Wow, thanks you two. I’m sharing this information with her, and tucking it into my own gardening file in my head, too.
    About the chickens, Happy, my hubby and I were actually just talking about getting some the other day. I was telling him about all of the stuff that I’d learned on here, and about how most of the problems revolved around bugs of some sort. He said that it was a shame that we couldn’t have pet anteaters to clean up the insects, and then we thought of chickens! It may be something that we pursue!
    Do you just throw the eggshells around on top of the soil or do you till it in? And does the calcium content cause any problems? It seems that I just keep learning more and more from you all! I am SOO glad that I found this forum!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.