Should you "prune tomatoes"?

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsShould you "prune tomatoes"?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Theresa Theresa 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Should you “prune” tomatoes and if so how much and when. I sort of whack away at my plants to keep them under control but I am never sure if I am doing it right.

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

If you prune tomatoes correctly, you will get maximum yield and large tomatoes. Your plant will still produce if you don’t prune, but it will sprawl all over the place. Look for the suckers , that is where an additional branch shoots out between two branches. Remove all suckers below the first clusters of tomatoes. As I harvest tomatoes, I prune the leaves below the growing tomatoes. Do not prune leaves above the tomato because you will cause sun scald.

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

I actually don’t prune cherry tomatoes much other than to get the leaves off the ground. I try and let them sprawl all over my garden fencing even planting several varieties to run together as one. It looks like I have a tomato producing yellow, black and red tomatoes all on the same vine. Last year I had tremendous yield doing this and I am hoping for a repeat performance.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

My mom always taught me to trim off the “sucker” leaves in order to gain a better yield, and her plants were always beautiful. She explained that the reason you trim them is because they suck the water and nutrients away from the blossoms that will yield fruit.

You can tell the difference between sucker learves and regular leaves because they don’t have any blooms on them; just leaves. The difference in yield truly does make this extra step worth the effort. It also makes the plant more manageable because you don’t have all of the extra leaves and branches all over the place.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.