Tomato Disease

HomeForumsAsk an Expert GardenerTomato Disease

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 4 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

drearydreamer
    Participant

I started all of my plants from seeds. The plants are doing great, they are large, bushy, and have healthy leaves. However, my tomatoes, upon getting a bit bigger, are either rotting completely with no warning, or developing black spots on the bottom that eventually tunnel into the fruit. Please help! I am a novice and this is only my third year gardening and I would like to have at least one tomato from my plants! What can I do to stop this. I will provide a picture if necessary so that someone can help me to identify what this is and how to treat it! Thanks ahead of time, I look forward to being a member of this site and learning from all of you!

drearydreamer
    Participant

started all of my plants from seeds. The plants are doing great, they are large, bushy, and have healthy leaves. However, my tomatoes, upon getting a bit bigger, are either rotting completely with no warning, or developing black spots on the bottom that eventually tunnel into the fruit. Please help! I am a novice and this is only my third year gardening and I would like to have at least one tomato from my plants! What can I do to stop this. I will provide a picture if necessary so that someone can help me to identify what this is and how to treat it! Thanks ahead of time, I look forward to being a member of this site and learning from all of you!

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

This does sound like blossom end rot which can really be aggravated by uneven watering which hinders the plants ability to absorb calcium. If your weather conditions are causing this, you can’t do much. If not, water regularly and only when the soil is dry. Yes, put your finger in the dirt and be sure the plants need water. Water from the bottom only and water first thing in the morning. For calcium add bone meal to fertilize. Dig a trench around the plant, add the bone meal, cover and water. Good luck! Before next season get your soil tested. You can buy kits and many Agricultural  Extension Offices do this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.