Tons of leaves, no fruit

HomeForumsAsk an Expert GardenerTons of leaves, no fruit

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by healthnut healthnut 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    healthnut
    healthnut
    Participant

I have a problem; I’m in Florida so I get an earlier start than most and thought that my plants should be producing already. The leaves are gorgeous and green and they seem to be thriving but there’s no sign of fruit. I’m using just the standard 10-10-10 that I picked up at Home Depot.
    I want to have fruit that’s as beautiful as my plants, lol. Anybody have any ideas?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

To get beautiful tomatoes on your beautiful plant, stop giving your plant so much fertilizer and switch to a fertilizer lower in nitrogen. I had the same problem with carrots one year, lush tops with spindly deformed carrots. I switched to a lower nitrogen fertilizer and this year had delicious beautiful carrots. Also, are you plants getting enough sun? Tomatoes like lots of sun.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Are you getting any flowers? If and when you do, make sure you have bees for pollination. I always have some flowers in my vegetable garden. Right now I have Thai basil which has flowered, arugula flowering, violas and marigolds. Flowers attract the bees and so when my tomato plants flower, they will be pollinated.

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

Although you are in Florida, this spring the weather has been pretty chilly. Tomato blossoms won’t set fruit if the temperatures are too cool. generally the night time temperatures must be above 55, preferably 60 degrees and daytime temperatures not over 90, preferably 80 degrees. Happy Chicken is right about the pollination however if you think this is the problem, you can help nature along by shaking or vibrating the blossoms to help release the pollen. Do this in the middle of the day (11-2) for best results.

healthnut
    healthnut
    Participant

Thanks everyone! Lily, you seem to have hit on it, or maybe it was a combination of too much nitrogen and not enough warm weather, as greenqueen suggested. I switched to a lower-nitrogen fertiizer and started to get blooms and fruit practically overnight! They were already in the sun, so that wasn’t a problem.
    Happychicken, I went ahead and took your advice, too. I’d been planning on adding in some herbs anyway, so I figured that since I was picking up fertilizer anyway, I may as well grab some plants. I love fresh herbs and picked a variety to set out.
    Thanks everybody for your advice! :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.