Tunnels in the leaves of my tomatoes.

HomeForumsTomato Insect & Pest ControlTunnels in the leaves of my tomatoes.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by happychicken happychicken 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

Something is making what appears to be tunnels in the leaves of my tomatoes. I thought maybe this was a “grin and bear it” thing but the affected plants seem to not be producing tomatoes. What to do?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Sounds like you have leaf miners! It doesn’t do any good to spray for leaf miners because they are digging tunnels in the leaves of your plant. I think there are some systematic controls however I control them by picking off the infected leaves and throwing them away. Beneficial insects can help with control so if you are using a broad spectrum insecticide, you may be killing off the beneficial insects.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Parasitic wasps are great for control of leaf minors. Actually these beneficial insects devour many tomato chomping pests. I have also used an organic control called Spinosad which seems to help. I agree that the first line of defense is to pick the leaves off and destroy them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.