What are some good companion plants for tomatoes?

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsWhat are some good companion plants for tomatoes?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

I am interested in some new ideas for companion plants for my tomato crop. I have always planted basil and marigolds alongside the tomatoes and they work great aesthetically and for insect control Other ideas?

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Aesthetically, roses would be my top choice. Beauty and pollination! Also peppers grow well with tomatoes. Other flowers are marigolds, geraniums and nasturtiums. Many herbs are great to grow with tomatoes. I read somewhere that growing basil with tomatoes increases the yield by 20%. I always plant basil with tomatoes. Other herbs to try are oregano, parsley.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

I use asparagus and basil with my tomatoes. According to old wive’s tales, the combination attracts lady bugs and I have to say that I there are always plenty in my garden.

I try to keep my green onions close too because they repel aphids and other pests. Of course, with no more room than I have, most of my stuff grows closely. I have to be careful because of that, but it’s worth it; at least I still have SOME fresh stuff anyway.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

I am in north Florida and I like having the green onions because it is so handy to pick a few for dinner. It had not occurred tome that the onions were also a bug repellent.  My garden consists of 5 raised beds so I am space challenged too! In Europe I notices that they grew vast quantities in small spaces by trellising everything. Between that and using Mel Bartholomew”s square foot gardening, I get lots of yield in a very small space. I run sunflowers along the back fence in the alley for pollination (and for happy chicken treats). Happy chicken (whose real name is Nancy) also feasts on bugs and grubs because her and her sister chickens, Susan, Kelly, Mary Anne and Barbara get to romp and play in the fenced area next to the garden.  Interestingly enough, they don’t like tomatoes or any of the nightshades. I want to try asparagus sometime although we are pretty far south for it.

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

I like peppers, basil and some flowers for pollination. Marigolds in particular seem to deter tomato pests as well as attract the bees.  Here is a photo of my just planted tomato with its companion plants.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.