What’s Eating my Leaves?

HomeForumsTomato Insect & Pest ControlWhat’s Eating my Leaves?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jammastermay 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

saucelover
    Participant

I have something weird going on. I went out a few days ago to weed and noticed that about 4 or 5 my 20 plants had missing leaves. I’m growing Stripys and have never had a problem before. The leaves were either gone or half gone but the stems were still there. Also, the fruit and the blooms were fine. It was just the leaves that were eaten.
    The ones that were only half-eaten were serrated-looking Oddly enough, I didn’t notice any changes yesterday but then again this morning, there were a few more leaves missing on different plants.
    The damage isn’t extensive but I’m afraid that if I don’t figure out what’s eating them before too long, it will be. Any ideas?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Check carefully for worms. This could be the dreaded tomato horn worm which begins life as a tiny stripy looking worm and grows into a giant fat green worm, from eating foliage. It’s sometimes hard to spot them because they hide in the plant. Pick them off and dispose of them in soapy water.

jammastermay
    Participant

When looking for hornworms, always look for little black dots on leaves.  When you find those…look up.  That is what the hornworm is pooping out as it works it’s way through the plant.  Makes it easier to find them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.