Where to plant tomatoes?

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsWhere to plant tomatoes?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Theresa Theresa 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

How do you select the best location for growing tomatoes? I have been growing in posts on  my deck but I am now ready to take the leap and plant in the ground.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Look for a well-drained site, close to a water source that receives 6-8 hours of continuous sunlight a day. Get your soil tested. It should be 6-6.5 ph. Remove grass, weeds and other planst from your site. Dig down and turn the soil at least a foot or 2. I like to incorporate organic matter into my soil such as rotted leaves, compost etc however you need to plan ahead and do this 3 to 4 weeks before planting.

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

I have always planted my tomatoes in raised beds. Tomatoes love loose, fertile soil with lots of organic matter. My husband built my raised beds with scrap lumber (untreated is always best although I have one bed built with old railroad ties.) They vary ns length however the width should be no wider than you can to the reach from either side to tend the plants. Mine are 3 1/3 to 4 1/2 feet wide. i have one that is 5 feet wide and that is a bit too much. I put multiple layers of newspapers on the bottom and then began to fill them with soil and all sorts of organic amendments. I make my own compost. Every year I top dress plants with more compost, mulch with oak leaves and at the end of the season, turn all into the soil. Below are some pictures of my collection of raised beds.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

This year I am running short on space in my raised beds so I am going to plant some bushy tomatoes in my front yard. They will be surrounded by existing knock out roses and day lilies.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

Happychicken – I planted my tomatoes in my front yard one year in a raised bed that ran along my front fence line. I noticed that all of fruits were disappearing the minute that they’d get ripe and kept watching for birds or animals that were taking them.

It turned out that the “animals” were the neighborhood kids who were walking past, picking them and eating them raw right then and there like an apple! They were so cute and so complimentary of my tomatoes that I couldn’t even be mad, lol!

As far aw planting, OP, greenqueen and the others are dead on. Plant where they’re going to get plenty of sun and make sure that the soil drains well. Also, you don’t want it to be too sandy – living in florida, I’ve found that mine are mealy if the soil isn’t rich enough but that may be due to another factor.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.