Container gardening

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsContainer gardening

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by happychicken happychicken 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

What kinds of containers are good for growing tomatoes and other vegetable?. I am looking for something that doesn’t cost much.

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

The obvious answer is old buckets and tubs. Just make sure to drill or poke drainage holes in whatever you use. I planted a tiny garden including tomatoes, basil, parsley, thyme and rosemary in an old wheelbarrow. It already had holes in it. I have also planted in a wine crate, an old sink, a picnic basket,  an old dresser drawer and  stacked up old tires (I painted them funky colors). Use you imagination. If it will hold dirt, it is a possible planter.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

I start mine in yogurt cups, believe it or not, then just kind of keep moving up, and often end up in large cottage cheese containers.

I know that it sounds kind of strange but I just hate the idea of throwing things away. I’m sort of the queen of repurposing around here but can’t seem to help it. For my bigger plants, I use 5-gallon buckets that I get from local restaurants. Their pickles and boiled eggs come in them and they work great for planting everything from an entire pack of basil seeds to a new bougainvillea plant.

greenqueen, I love your ideas and plan to use some of them – especially the funkily-painted tires. :)

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

http://www.heirloomsolutions.com
    Check this out! I always have broken pots around and now I can’t wait to make one look as cool as these do. This company is also a great source for heirloom seeds! Great selection of tomatoes!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.