how and when to plant tomato seeds

HomeForumsAsk an Expert Gardenerhow and when to plant tomato seeds

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by greenqueen greenqueen 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

I have tried with some success to grow tomatoes from seed. I like to grow from seed because you have so many more varieties to choose from. My problems have been lack of germination and really spindly weak plants. How can I grow healthy transplants? What are the secrets?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

The first advice I can give you is to start with great performing tomato. Some good choices are Celebrity, Parks Whopper and Better Boy. These tomatoes are all VFN meaning they are resistant to wilts and nematodes. Use a good sterile soil like Fafard and mix in some coarse vermiculite (about 10-1). This will help with drainage. Dampen the soil and place it in a seed starting tray. (Available at any garden center).  Put one seed in each space and cover with ¼ inch of soil. Squirt with a ½ strength mixture of liquid fertilizer. Place your seed tray is a warm spot and seeds should germinate I a week or so. Keep moist but don’t overwater.  When they have their true leaves, transplant each to a 4” pot burying the stems up to the leaves.  Add a pinch of balanced fertilizer.  Let dry out a bit before watering at this point. When plant grows to 5-6 inches you can put it in the ground or transplant it into a larger pot being sure to remove the bottom leaves and bury the stem up to the top leaves.

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

I live in North Florida and I started these tomatoes from seed, inside and under lights 3 weeks ago. (mid January) This week I moved them outdoors into a cold frame (a plastic tub with an cold window on top which I remove during the day.)  Of course we have basically had no winter and if it gets frosty, I will have to cover them. I like to get tomatoes in the ground as early as possible because by July  bugs and disease are rampant and I pull my tomatoes by then. FYI these plants are Cherokee Purple and Sweet gold.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.