Looking for the Perfect Salsa Tomato

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsLooking for the Perfect Salsa Tomato

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by healthnut healthnut 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

saucelover
    Participant

Hi all! My sister recently moved to Florida and sent me this recipe for crazy good mango salsa but all of the tomatoes that I grow are mainly good for sauces because I can to get me through the winter.
    I want to make some of this incredible salsa and can it for Christmas gifts but I don’t think that my current tomatoes will hold up. Any suggestions?

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

So you want a tomato that is meaty, not too juicy and loaded with flavor. I say Celebrity and Better Boy for hybrids and my all time favorite heirloom, Cherokee Purple. A mix of these would make for great salsa, the flesh of the Cherokee purple is dark rich purplish red. I made salsa with these last year although it was the fresh not canned kind. Yum

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

San Marzano or Roma tomatoes make wonderful salsa. And for color add Lemon Boy a wonderful meaty brilliantly yellow slicing tomato. I jarred salsa with these varieties last year adding some jalapeno peppers and onions. The addition of the yellow tomato makes a really pretty jar.

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

I agree with the chicken about Roma tomatoes for salsa.  They aren’t as juicy and keep the salsa from being too watery. I think what you use depends on what you grow in your part of the country. I often combine other tomatoes with Roma for luscious taste and not too juicy. Try Brandywine (one of my old favorites) and early girl.

healthnut
    healthnut
    Participant

I agree about the Romas, too. Another great tomato that I like to use in my salsa is my yellow stripey. I swear that that tomato is good for everything from stuffing, to eating plain, to using in salsas and dips.

Another reason that I like to use them is because, in addition to the great texture and sweet flavor, they also add some great color to your salsas. Like lily says, though, it really depends on where you’re at. I know that some friends of mine had a tough time growing stripeys in sandier soil and ended up having to plant them in planters instead of just in their garden.
    Let us know what you decide on, and feel free to share your recipe! ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.