Mexican Bush Marigold – Natural Pest Control!

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsMexican Bush Marigold – Natural Pest Control!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by happychicken happychicken 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Three years ago I was introduced to a gangly little plant called a Mexican Bush Marigold. My nursery expert (and he really is an expert) said it was much more effective that the annual marigods for scaring off the critters and it is a perennial. The plant quickly grew and flourished producing masses of tiny marigold flowers and emitting very strong Marigold scent.  I started trimming it after it reached 5 feet. Fortunately I had placed it just outside the fence surrounding my vegetables because it spanned 8 feet and rambled back through the fence. My chickens love basking in its shade in the summer heat and they eat some of the bottom leaves but it grows so fast, who cares. I am sure the smell has greatly reduced the pests in my garden. Every spring I cut it back down to the ground and very quickly I’ts up and smelly again! Try it.

Josephina
    Participant

I have never, ever heard of this but seems so interesting!  Anything natural is A-ok in my book!
    So, does the marigold scent stink? I am just worried because I have seasonal allergies and don’t want to make myself miserable, if the plant really does get that big.
    Also, is there a threat of this plant “taking over” the tomato plants and smothering them to death?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

The plant smells very strongly like a marigold. It is very easy to trim to fit a space, just allow a really big space. Originally I had the plant in my raised bed but I quickly learned that it was going to consume too much space. I easily transplanted it to it’s current location outside the fence.

IrieGardener
    IrieGardener
    Participant

Haha!! the chickens like the smell? Wait, can chickens even smell?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

I don’t know whether chickens can smell but if they can, they like really lots of garbage smells. Just last week, I trimmed the plant back to let it grow again because our weather is really warm for this time of year. I have very few pests in my garden and use almost no controls of any kind!

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

This sounds like good old fashion companion planting. I have found that if I surround my tomato bushes with aromatic herbs like dill, basil, cilantro etc. and let these herbs flower and go to seed, the beneficials are attracted and the bad bugs seem to stay away.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.