Nematodes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by happychicken happychicken 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

Recently I was given permission to use the lot beside me as garden space but the lady said that she’d had a garden there a few years prior and had had problems with root-knot nematodes.

My question is this: Since it’s lain fallow since then, are the nematodes still an issue? This is of particular concern to me because my other garden is right beside that lot. The only thing that separates them is about 10 feet and a picket fence. Thanks for the help in advance!

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Below is a photo of Swiss Chard with root know nematodes. I did not know that planting okra encouraged them and last summer I had a bumper crop of okra in that plac.. I grow in raised beds filled mainly with homemade compost enriched with my very own chicken droppings. My gardening buddies said not to fret because it was so localized. I planted French Marigolds, basil and lettuce in that very spot and all is fine. Some of my friend who have had severe nematode problems have solarized their soil by covering it with plastic but I did not think this was necessary. When I pull up the plants I always add a good new helping of compost to sit and get happy until fall.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.