Peppers attract hornworms?

HomeForumsTomato Insect & Pest ControlPeppers attract hornworms?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Theresa Theresa 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

saucelover
    Participant

I’ve been considering adding peppers to my raised beds because my family loves them but an old farmer just told me to be prepared because they attract tomato hornworms. Is this true?
    If anybody has any input here, I’d greatly appreciate it! I love peppers and can plant them around the other side of my yard but would rather have them near my tomatoes just for convenience.

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Both tomatoes and peppers can get horn worms, I have grown tomatoes and peppers side by side for years and actually have had horn worms on the tomatoes but not on the peppers, they are easy to pick off because they are so big, but I make my husband do it.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

If you attack when the hornworms are young you, can use organic controls like Dipel Dust (Bacillus thuringiensis, ) and Spinosad. Both of these controls are very effective on young caterpillars. Your best defense is to  Roto-till after you harvest the tomatoes and pull up the debris. This will keep the pupae from overwintering in the soil.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

Happychicken, that’s what my parents said, too. We were actually talking about hornworms a few minutes ago because they’re having some issues with them right now. They realized that they hadn’t Roto-tilled except the one time when they planted because they’ve both been so busy and they’re sure that that’s the reason for the infestation.

My question, though, is that if you just pick them off, is that good enough or are there a ton of larvae in the dirt that I need to do something else about? I’m trying to go completely organic so is there an environmentally friendly way to do it?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.