Rain barrels – So easy!

HomeForumsGardening DiscussionsRain barrels – So easy!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Tomatoes, like so many vegetables, like a good supply of water but don’t like wet leaves. They also prefer rain water as opposed to chemically laden city water. The solution? Rain Barrels. I took a “make and take” class at my local extension office and made my first one. My husband, who never would get on the drip irrigation band wagon, went rain barrel crazy. We have one on or deck and 2 on the side of the house.
    Out by the garden he created a rain barrel network by catching the rain off the shed in one barrel, running the water through PVC pipe to the garden, then splitting the water into 3 barrels which are located next to the 3 raised beds. I water with my trusty watering can. Yes, it is bit more time consuming than  using the hose but it gives me time to talk to the tomatoes and the chickens in the adjoining fenced yard. Savor the moments!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

This is a great idea! It’s hard to believe that the rain off a shed fills so many rain barrels. it must be a huge shed! Don’t you have a problem with mosquitoes because of all the standing water?

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Two important steps control mosquitoes in rain barrels. First when I make the rain barrel, I cover the top with fine mesh screen. You can secure the screen with wire or with the lid attachment that came with the barrel. Make sure you get food grade barrels. I get mine from a commercial container company and usually get recycled pickle barrels. Next, every month I plop in a piece of Mosquito Dunk. You don’t need the whole thing! Read the directions for the surface area. My barrels require only 1/6th piece.

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

As our rain barrels fill, we transfer water to large plastic jugs (mainly recycled kitty litter containers) and strategically place them around the garden and landscape. We hide them there until needed. No doubt, plants fare much better with natural rain water rather than the chemically laden city stuff!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.