Sour Rot

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  LimeLady 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

Does anybody know if sour rot can jump species? I had a problem with it last year and was going to rotate something else into that soil this year but was told that i need to disinfect the soil and possibly even leave it fallow for a season. Is this true? I have very little space and if I can’t use that space that means that I’ll have to give up something this year. Help!

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

I know sour rot can affect citrus and it can be transmitted by wind. I would solarize your soil. Just cover the area with clear plastic and weigh down the edges with boards, bricks etc. let the sun “cook” it for thirty days and voila… no weeds, no bacteria, essentially clean soil. When you plant make sure the fruit does not touch the ground, use mulch and pluck the lower branches. Also don’t wait too long to harvest. Sour rot occurs on mature fruit!

LimeLady
    Participant

As happychicken mentions, sour rot can transfer between different species like other fruits as well as vegetables like carrots (it’s kinda like violet rot in that way, for example). I’d suggest solarization if you’re feeling up to some DiY, otherwise look into some professional options. Either way, I wouldn’t be planting anything new in that soil ’til it’s disease free. Just my $0.2c!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.