Spray or dust?

HomeForumsGardening ProductsSpray or dust?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Theresa Theresa 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    IrieGardener
    IrieGardener
    Participant

A lot of fungicides say “spray or dust” on them?  What do they mean by “dust”? Is that a technique or something?

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

They are 2 different products. Some fungicides come in a spray form and some are powdered and you “dust” the plants with the powder. Both can be effective although you should wear a mask or respirator to keep from breathing the fungicide.

IrieGardener
    IrieGardener
    Participant

Thanks for the advice on the mask.  I would have overlooked that, yuck!

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

Also remember that fungicides work a a barrier to keep the fungus from attacking the plant. If the fungus is already present, fungicide generally does not work. You have to make the barrier as complete as possible covering all surfaces of the leaves particularly the undersides of the leaves. Check the label of the produce you are using and be sure to reapply as often as necessary. Most of them require you to reapply within 7-10 days and more often if it rains. I always immediately pluck off leaves that seem to be infected with any kind of disease. Of course if the plant loses too many leaves, the tomatoes will be vulnerable to sun-scald.

Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant

So since we’re on the topic of sprays versus dusts, let’s hear what everybody prefers, and why.

I know that dusting is less convenient, but there are still many people who prefer it over spraying and I’m curious as to why. It takes more product and is much more time-consuming than just spraying, so why go the extra steps if spraying is just as effective?

I can’t wait to see the answers here!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.