White Moldy Looking Stuff on Underside of Leaves

HomeForumsWhat the #$*! Disease is This?White Moldy Looking Stuff on Underside of Leaves

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by LilyRose LilyRose 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

saucelover
    Participant

I recently went to my friend’s house and she missed getting her seeds started this year and opted to buy young plants. Her husband “surprised” her by stopping at a local chain store and buying her a flat. She got about half of them planted when she noticed white, moldy looking stuff on the undersides of the leaves of one of the plants.

She went back through and didn’t find it on any of the others but now she’s worried that she’s contaminated all of her soil. Does anybody know what this may be, and what she can do to fix it?

greenqueen
    greenqueen
    Participant

I certainly hope I am wrong but this could be late blight (underside of the leaves) and if it is the spores definitely could have spread to the rest of your crop. I would  tell the store. This is the same disease that caused the great potato famine in Ireland. (It overwinters in potato or tomato debris.) Get a fungicide and carefully follow the directions to spray your garden. I am assuming you have already destroyed the offending plant. If you see even a hint of the mold, destroy the plant. This is not a disease that can be cured, only prevented. Even if it is not late blight, if I couldn’t identify a fungus, I would destroy the plant. Some fungal diseases are manageable like powdery mildew. For that, I just pick off the leaves and apply and fungicide.

happychicken
    happychicken
    Participant

It is so worth it to plant from seed and there are so many fabulous seed companies online with varieties that you would never find in a nursery. When I buy plants, I buy only from reputable nurseries and still thoroughly inspect the plant. Don’t buy anything with the slightest hint of disease. You don’t want the plant to have yellow leaves and check to make sure the plant is not root bound. If it is it will be hard to get out of the pot or a mass of roots will be growing through the drainage holes.

LilyRose
    LilyRose
    Participant

Can’t miss this opportunity to get on my soapbox about where to buy your plants and seeds. Many plants from reputable nurseries end up with problems and diseases because they are not properly cared for in big box stores. Today you can buy many plants online directly from the grower and there are fabulous seed resources online. Did you know that you should always store seeds in the refrigerator? Maybe the seeds that have been sitting around in a warehouse for several months at 95 degrees in the summer are OK but why take a chance. Buy seeds and plants from good sources.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.